Follow on Bloglovin

Saturday, October 8, 2016

Fall recipe: Apple Crisp



                                                                 




I wanted to share a recipe I recently found that's perfect for this time of year. Some days you just want a warm apple crisp with some vanilla ice cream, and to eat it without leaving home. The original recipe can be found here, but I made some changes for my tastes and preferences.


Ingredients for the topping:

1/2 cup self rising flour (if you use all purpose, add 1/2 teaspoon baking powder)

1/2 cup old fashioned oats

1/2 cup light brown sugar

1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon

dash of salt

1/3 cup unsalted butter, diced into small chunks.


Ingredients for the filling:

One can of Lucky Leaf Premium Apple Pie Filling

1 splash of lemon juice (a splash is less than a teaspoon)

2 tablespoons of melted butter

3 tablespoons milk

1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (organic)



Directions:  I don't like whole oats in anything, so I took all of the dry topping ingredients and blended them in my Cuisinart food processor until they were more finely milled. I then cut the butter separately and just dropped it into the mix. Put it in the fridge until you're done with the filling.

I then poured the apple filling into my dish (either an 8x8 or 9x9 size will work).

I put my lemon juice in the Cuisinart, and then the butter. If you add your milk to lemon juice it will curdle, so always add the butter second! Then add the vanilla and mix until well blended. I pour this over the filling, and then sprinkle on the topping and put it in the oven.



Bake your apple crisp at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. I like my apple crisp hot when it's a cool day, so as soon as it comes out of the oven I top it with ice cream and dig in. 


                                                                       











No comments: